Sunday, May 09, 2010

Weeds

I dreamt last night. It's been a long time since I've slept like that.

Today was great! We got alot done with the house. Skip and I went to Lowe's without the girls. I forget how easy it is to get things done without them. Don't get me wrong I love those two little sweeties.

We bought a new range/oven and microwave to replace the old, non-functioning, avocado green dutch oven. We bought a glass pendant light for the guest bathroom is completely changes the looks of the room. Who know one light could do that. After I paint the walls I'll post pics. This is probably be our first complete remodel project.

For my summer vegetable garden I had planned on building 3 4'x4' boxes. Change of plans after finding out that cedar for each box costs $55. That's way more than I had budgeted, so I bought enough wood for one box that I'll hopefully get to put together tomorrow and I'm going to create the other raised beds with some stone that we have on the property.

I keep going back and forth on where I'm going to place the veggie beds. At first I thought that the only place that would get enough light is in the front yard next to the drive way, but now I think I might try to place them in the backyard so that I can work on them while the girls play. There's not much direct sunlight in back. I'm going to have to cut some of the large branches from a couple of the trees to make it work. Or maybe I'll there will be some in the front and some in the back. I don't know.

And speaking of rocks... I got to spend some more time in the front stone bed this evening. There was a light rain this afternoon and the weather was in the 70s. After the girls went to bed I pulled weeds until it got too dark. There's something very meditative about weeding. I can't put it into words just yet. I'm relieved to know that there are still bugs in our yard even though the sprayed pesticide for ants all over the yard a couple of days before we moved in. Arg. So much for my organic garden. At least for a few months. So far I've seen ladybugs, ants (ha!), doodlebugs, caterpillars, butterflies, a stink bug, a cricket, some beetles, and something that might have been a lacewing (still not up on all my bugs yet)... oh, and Zoe found a pink caterpillar.

I spent about an hour weeding and only got about 10' or 15' done. Oh but I have a huge bucket of weeds as my price at the end of the day. What do I do with them?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO HAPPY for you guys!

someone needs to build a compost! From weeds to kitchen refuse, it's the gift that keeps giving :)