I've been so busy lately with my new job that it seems that I never find time to update the blog :(
Here's what's been happening with the garden:
- The squash vine borers killed all the pumpkins save 2 vines. I planted more seeds and kept them under row cover. Last week we got a ton for rain and the vines got mildew. I removed the row cover a couple of days ago and the squash vine borers are back. Basters! They've hit all the vines except for 1. I want pumpkins for Halloween! This vine better make it.
- My one pepper was picked and eaten by a raccoon. A new bud pooped up a couple of days ago.
- I harvested my soybeans - all 5 of them.
- The spinach is healthy but not growing. They are still all about 3" tall.
- The watermelon seem to be doing well. They vines are about 2 feet and have gown through a few flower cycles.
I've decided that there's not enough direct sunlight on the veggies and that's why the spinach isn't growing, the soybeans stopped producing and the peppers are producing slowly. There are 2 chinaberry trees close to the garden boxes that are blocking the afternoon sun. I'm going to chop them down. All I need is a chainsaw. Anyone want to help? Sounds fun, yeah?