Monday, March 03, 2008

The 3 Year Baby Blanket


I started knitting this blanket in October 2004. While we were in Florence, Skip told me that he was ready to have a baby. We had been talking about it for some time before then and the idea completely freaked him out. I don’t know what changed his mind, but there was a huge shift in his thinking. I was very happy to say the least. I worked on the blanket in between projects until I got pregnant in November 2005 and was so exhausted that I stopped knitting all together.

When I first starting knitting this blanket I was concerned about how the colors repeated and blended together. I would look at each row getting frustrating when one color would pool together to make a blob. When I picked this up again I had to make myself stop looking at the colors so that I could actually finish a row.

I made this blanket in the “window pane” pattern. It’s difficult to see in the picture because of the color variation of the yarn. The pattern was written by someone at the Woolie Ewe, the best yarn shop in Texas. I took my first knitting class there back in 97. The mother and daughter owners of the store, Sue and Jill, are patient and wise, and all around great people.

I’m started on the next project – a pair of baby booties for my friend Catherine. I found this really cute pattern on the SockPixie blog. I’m using some left over sock yarn for 5 years ago ((patting myself on the back for using up some of my stash on a gift)).

No comments: