Monday, December 24, 2007

Unicare SUCKS


I'm completely pissed off at Unicare. I recently quit my full-time job to stay home with my beautiful 17 month old daughter Zoe. My husband is a contract employee and therefore is not eligible for health care insurance from his employer. I knew when I quit working that we would be taking on a huge financial burden with having to pay for private health care insurance, what I didn't expect was the letter that I got in the mail today. We applied for a very basic Unicare plan called "Unicare Fit 2000". For our family it costs $351 per month and doesn't cover much, but it was one of the only affordable plans that I could find that had a deductible under 5,000 per person.

Some back ground on me. I've been fighting depression since I was a teenager. I had a far from normal childhood and it's taken me awhile to come to terms with it. I took Effexor for many years and it worked wonders until I tried to get off of it. I had been living in the NYC area for the past 4 years and hadn't had any problems with it the whole time. But had to move back to Texas in February (long story short - we ran out of money). It wasn't a move that I wanted to make. This place holds hundreds of bad associations for me. I also wasn't ready to go back to work when my daughter was 6 months old. As a result my depression reared it's ugly head again. So like a responsible adult I went to the doctor and got on an antidepressant called Zoloft.

I filled out an application with Unicare online in which they make you list any health problems that have been treated and any medication that you have taken in the past 10 years. You also have to supply your doctor's information so that they can look at your medical files to verify what you put on your app.

I am 29 years old, within the optimum weight category for my height, don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and have no health problems other than depression and occasional insomnia. I listed both of these problems/medication on the application. A few weeks later I received a call from Unicare saying that they needed to ask me a few questions. I called them back and was on the phone with them for about 10 minutes:

Unicare: Did you take your medication today?
Me: Yes.
Unicare: Are you planning on getting further treatment for your depression?
Me: No.
Unicare: Have you ever tried to kill yourself?
Me: No.
Unicare: Have you ever been hospitalized for mental illness?
Me: No.
Unicare: Has your illness ever affected your ability to work?
Me: No.

... and on and on. These seem to be very personal questions. In the end, they are trying to figure out how much of a risk I am to their company.

Back to the letter... It reads "thank you for your interest" but we can't offer you coverage.

"We find that we cannot offer membership to you due to your recent change in Medication for depression as document during a telephone interview.

"Unfortunately, our current medial underwriting guidelines prohibit us from offering enrollment to any applicant with the above noted medical history."

In other words, Unicare will not offer coverage to anyone who has taken more than one type of antidepressant in the past 10 years. I'm not the only one getting denied for treating depression. But it can't just be the cost of the medication. Zoloft is no longer protected by a patent and the generic cost about $30 per month retail. Just to put this in perspective, when I was taking Effexor my month bill was over $200.

There are millions of people in America (literally) who are taking medication for depression. The first one you take may not be the best one for you. It's a process of trial and error to find the right one.

Last week, I saw the move Sicko. The film opens with the stories of people who don't have health insurance. While I was watching it never crossed my mind that it might happen to me.

I'm going to apply for health insurance with other companies, but I fear that it's most likely going to be the same story.

I just want to say fuck you Unicare. I hope that every investor and top employee at this profitable company will one day understand the ramifications of the actions of this faceless corporation.

And just to help people find this post when they conduct a search - Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare, Unicare... you suck!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks Nikki!! I am so sorry about that.

btw to help you spread the unicare sucks campaign I blogged about your plight.

Jen B said...

Nikki... that does suck. Will they still cover Skip and Zoe? What's the next step? Can you challenge them?

Unknown said...

I am/was with Unicare and they DO SUCK! They cancelled my policy for the second time now because of bogus crap! They said I didn't pay my premium and I have a copy of the check that they deposited!

Anonymous said...

I was with Unicare for three years. Never filed a claim and they raised my rate 5 times in three years. When I attempted to cancel my policy, Their website was not working. I called their 800 number and while on hold they disconnected me. Finally did get it cancelled.

Unknown said...

Still trying to get the insurance that I paid them for, they aknowleged recieving my payment but still wont reinstate my policy. It has been months now,do you suppose it has anything to do with my turning 50?!! They have told my a supervisor would call me at least 3 times now, no call!

Unknown said...

Agreed.

Some background on me: I'm a bodybuilder, I work out six days a week and take my physical fitness and strength very seriously. I am a healthy guy, but I'm also a large guy. Mind you I'm not overweight in the traditional sense--I'm not fat, but I'm muscular. I applied for Unicare, I was quoted 106/mo and when I sent it away, I was informed that they were going to bill be almost 200. I never authorized the payment at that level, and I wouldn't have accepted their *40%* rate hike if I'd have known that was going to be the case. Furthermore, their dental insurance is completely worthless, not taking affect until six months after you're in the plan.

To add insult to injury, I have had the insurance now for a total of 18 days, and I have been charged my premium twice.

I just called my insurance brokerage, I am canceling the policy, and raising unholy hell until I get my money back. I'm not eating $400 dollars for worthless insurance.

Anonymous said...

Amusingly enough, I found your blog doing a google search for "Unicare Sucks". LOL. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your icon. They do suck, I hate them.

You can see their customer service people on you tube too, by searching for Unicare.

They are all in the Phillipines.

Unknown said...

Tough luck. Any company is going to reject you. Humana is a little more lenient than the others these days. Mental illness is the hardest when you go to get coverage. Its not Unicare. Its everyone.

Anonymous said...

Unicare does suck. It's not just antidepressants that cause the problem- apparently ANY prescription does. I already had my family on Unicare. Wanted to change my plan (still within Unicare) to a less expensive plan- with LESS coverage, mind you (You think Unicare would like that). filled out the damn questionnaire, and said my daugher had had Giardia- a very common parasite that kiddos in daycare spread around; treated with 7 days of antibiotics and its gone. (Amer Acad of Pediatrics says it doesn't even NEED to be treated if asymptomatic, which this was!!). Because of that, we "didn't meet underwriting guidelines" to switch to another plan.

Anonymous said...

Unicare has denied every claim we had this year and now they are raising our premiums because they claim this year has been tough on them. I am in the process of switching insurance companies and unicare will no longer profit from my familys troubles. I hope companies with this philosophy fail and good companies replace them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted