Monday, August 04, 2008

Atti's Sweater





Skip, Zoe and I just got back from Austin where I was able to see my cousin Jen's new baby Atticus (not pictured in case you were wondering) for the first time and give him this sweater that I've been working on for the past 6 months. This sweater took 4 times longer than I had anticipated, but I love the results!

I took the pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (called Baby's First Tattoo). I choose the star motif because the sweater needed to be gender neutral, and I thought it looked really cool.

This is my first attempt at intarsia. It took me a few nights just to get the first row of intarsia without a huge whole in between the colors. I finally figured out that the directions I was using we meant for "normal" knitters, you know that ones that knit the right-handed English fashion. My grandmother taught me to knit continental when I was a kid and I've never been able to switch over.

The yarn is sock yarn to be extra snuggly next to soft skin, the brown is 100% cotton and I used red wool to give the garment some shape since I've had difficultly with that when working with cotton. It's meant to be a summer sweater, one that's worn indoors when it's hot outside and the A/C is blasting.

1 comment:

Jen B said...

I absolutely love the sweater. I'll post some pics tomorrow of Atti wearing his fabu hand knit number. He looks smashing in it...