Friday, February 01, 2008

I did not know that....

My wonderful (and well-connected) cousin Jen introduced me to her friend who works with health insurance companies. I learned all kinds of things that I didn't know before.

She let me know that there are a few things against me right now. First, I get my meds from a psychiatrist. Why is that a bad thing? In the state of Texas health insurance companies are required by law to cover related health expenses (up to half a million if my memory serves me) if the person has a major psychiatric problem. Depression doesn't fall into this category, but bi-polar does. A psychiatrist can change your diagnosis at anytime. Although a MD or OBGYN can give you an RX, they can't change your diagnosis.

The second strike against me is that I've had depression for many years. For some reason that's bad.

She also said that GoldenRule is a good choice for me because they will usually include a mental health rider, which basically says that they won't ever cover any mental health related costs. Whatever. That's fine. I use want health insurance. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon.

However, if I get declined again I have the option of becoming part of the Texas Health Insurance Risk Pool, insurance for those who can't get insurance. There are only two catches - they don't cover your pre-existing condition for 12 months and the premium is through the roof. If I were to go this route, my monthly premium would be $430 with a $2500 deductible (and did I mention that that doesn't include prescription coverage). Thanks Texas. I appreciate the help.

1 comment:

Jen B said...

What a mess. I hope with some of the new info you're at least able to get some insurance. In my thoughts.